26 August 2021 10:00 to 13:00
Virtual Forum Seminar
Session 1: Marcus Svedberg, Investment Strategist, AP-fonden 4 and Session 2: Cecilia Thomasson Blomquist, Chief Investment Officer, PP Pension Försäkringsförening
Session 1 – Potential ‘Surge on Inflation’ – Medium/Long Term Outlook on Inflation and Implications for Portfolios
We will look at the outlook for inflation and interest rates in the short, medium and long-term and the resultant implications for pension funds. With the recent inflation figures being higher than expected, will this be transitory as many have suggested, or are we seeing a structural shift to towards rising inflation for the medium/long-term?
Our speakers will focus on:
- Examining the likely impact of an inflation surge and, if so, would it produce a ‘real’ rates shock on portfolios and would it be transitory or a long-term problem?
- Why has there not been higher inflation as might have been expected from academic theory?
- What is the possibility of rising interest rates, especially at the long end of the curve?
- What does any inflation move mean for risk assets and will it continue to create ‘asset bubbles’?
- Explaining how asset allocation and strategy will be impacted.
- Advising in which assets or strategies you can invest to provide a good hedge against inflation today.
- Responsibility of central banks and asset bubbles. Who to blame when next crash happens?
- Why do we only look at CPI? Is asset inflation not important for long-term stability?
Session 2 – Low Carbon Transition/Zero Carbon Strategy – Risks and Investment Implications
With regulators and members increasingly scrutinising pension funds and managers on how they consider Climate Change issues in relation to their investments and strategy, just what should Pension Fund Boards do now?
Our panel of speakers will aim to give some practical insights on:
- How should you be integrating climate change issues into your own investment strategy effectively?
- How can pension schemes align their portfolios in line with Net Zero and Climate Transition?
Zero Carbon Investment Strategy
- How to do deal with gaps in your vision and the practical solutions/approaches available?
- Is there too much focus on investors doing ‘good’ for climate change without consideration of risks and understanding how portfolios will be impacted directly?
- Modelling Climate Change Scenarios and translating them into an investment strategy.
- Benchmarking process and how useful this is for building investment portfolios.
- What are some of the challenges around data for analysis of climate risk and for modelling?
- Should pension schemes engage in collaboration initiatives such as UN Net Zero, the Transition Pathways Initiative and the recent Sustainable Development Investments Asset Owner Platform (SDI AOP)? How useful are they?
- How should climate risk be measured?